Thursday, February 7, 2013

30 Days of Devotion: Day 3

Symbols and icons of this deity.


 Symbols and icons, huh?  I suppose the most forefront symbol would be the Valknut, or Knot of the Slain:

The meaning of the symbol has been debated but many modern day followers have said that this is a symbol of Odin, they wear it to show their dedication to Odin and the gods of the Norse. Some claim that you shouldn't tattoo this on your body because those who do will die a warrior's death.  People think it represents the Nine Worlds, the tree Yggdrasil.  Personally, I don't know.  It's an interesting symbol none the less.


Another symbol is obviously in the form of a Raven.  There is little doubt as to why this is one of Odin's symbols.  This pairs with Sleipnir and the spear, Gungnir.  All items or creatures that are at Odin's side.

For me the last symbol is that of an eye or, perhaps, the lack of said eye.  Over the winter holidays Grendal and I made ornaments.  He made one and held it up asking, "Do you know what this is?"  I took one look at it and recognized the shape.  "Odin's eye?"  All I got was a smile of confirmation.  There was no detail to the eye; it was just the basic shape of one, without the pupil or the iris.  We placed it on the altar as a reminder of the sacrifice Odin had made to gain knowledge.

Out of all my searching I couldn't find other symbols/icons that people said belonged to Odin or ones that jumped out at me saying as much.  People have pointed at certain runes as belonging to Odin but that could just be a modern take on it.  While Odin brought us the rune and they can be a symbol of his all together, I'm not sure about one particular rune being his and his alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment