Thursday, February 14, 2013

Oops....30 Days of Devotion: 9 & 10

Well, that sucked. I was doing so well about posting every day. Anywho, time to continue!!

Day 9- Common Mistakes about this Deity.

This may just be my personal view/UPG but I think the big mistake or misconception about Odin is that he is misogynistic.  I had never gotten that vibe from him at all.  While he led a people that seemed very pro man, but had some very great views on women before converting, that doesn't appear to be the case. He expects the same from a man and woman, and won't baby one or the other.  The Eddas and the other old stories have the same problem that the Bible does: it was written by human hands.  The author(s) could put in what ever they wanted and we, many years later, don't have a clue.


Day 10- Offerings: Historical and UPG

The only historical offerings that I have noticed for Odin were that of sacrifice or killings in war.  Sacrifices were usually either male slaves or male animals, which were hung from the branches of trees after said sacrifice.  There are accounts of kings being sacrificed to Odin as well, but other than sacrificing I have yet to hear much.

Since I don't personally want to sacrifice men or animals of any gender, I have a tendency to put mead or other alcoholic drinks on the altar to him.  I also light candles and incense.  Some people put food out for Odin but I am iffy on doing that myself, mainly because in the Eddas he only consumes mead.  All others are given to his wolves.

I will say I have thought about putting jewelry or personally made items out for him, but have yet to do so.  I have also been thinking of something that I love dearly to 'sacrifice' in his name.  What that would be, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment