Tuesday, February 12, 2013

30 Days of Devotion: Day 8

Variations of this deity.


Ah, variations on Odin.

I know of Wodan, in old High Germanic, but I believe there is a similarity between the figures(if ANYONE reading this knows any different, please let me know. Knowledge is power!).

There is an odd coincidence between Odin and the Celtic god Lugus.  They are both gods of intellect, wield spears, are accompanied by ravens, have control over poetry and magic.  I remember seeing a picture of Lugus in a book that Grendal's mother owns and pointing out to Grendal how similar they looked.  He noticed it right away as well.  While they may not be the same deity, Lugus and Odin have strong parallels and is worth peeking at.

The Romans referred to Odin as Mercury in many of their texts, so you could say they are a variation of each other.  Personally, though, I don't see it as such.

Other than those few, though, I am not sure on variations of Odin.  Not much turns up for me.  Hmmmm. If anyone can point me in the right direction for this information, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment